<$BlogRSDURL$>

  Friday, February 22, 2002

FAILURE!

Tickets to Chicago Cubs games (including opening day) went on sale today, at 11AM EST. After futzing around with their Web site for at least an hour and a half, with no luck, I gave up and attempted to simply call it in. That took another half hour, at least, of dialing in and getting busy signals. When I finally got through, I was on hold for another twenty minutes. (The "your call is important to us" recording actually ran all the way through. The tape is only so long.) Finally -- nearly three hours after tickets went on sale -- I got to talk to a person. All I wanted was two lousy seats to a game that isn't even going to be played for six weeks, but by that time there were only single seats remaining, scattered around the stadium. Sigh ... opening day at Wrigley will have to wait for another year.

I'm about to check availability of opening day seats in Milwaukee, the White Sox, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. I'll also check Minnesota, which might be preferable: It's probably the last year for the Twins, and so there will be no opening day there next year. If the team continues to exist, a new stadium there is all but guaranteed. I'm reading that that might be what saves the team. In any case, it's the last opportunity, or nearly so, to see the Minnesota Twins on opening day at the Metrodome. (Ditto for Montréal -- but who cares?)